Monday, February 5, 2007

A Full 16 Hours



Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise. Some people say without their full eight hours I'm just a wreck. Is that true? According to wikipedia The National Sleep Foundation maintains that eight hours of sleep for humans is optimal, claiming that it brings improved performance in tests, reduced risk of accidents, and a better immune system. For most people 8 hours is the goal when we go to sleep. Some go to bed at 10pm. and get up at 6am. Some prefer to go to bed at midnight an get up a 8am. Well that is all good and fine if that is your schedule. What about those of us that don't have a normal schedule? People with kids, Night Owls, and people who work graveyard shifts don't have normal schedules. When do they get there eight hours? Well I am one of the many that don't have a regular schedule. I work graves. A few nights a week I work 10pm.-6am. rather than sleep it. By the time I get home it is 6:30. If I go to sleep at that moment, a good 8 hours would be 2:30pm. Some experts say that every hour slept before midnight is worth 2 afterwards. So how many hours of sleep do the majority of people, who don't have a 10pm.-6am. or a 12am.-8am. sleep schedule, actually need? It could be argued that because I went to sleep at 6:30am. , which is after midnight, that I would need double the hours to get a full night sleep. So If I went to bed at 6:30am. I would need to sleep till 10:30pm. to get my full night sleep. Well you can't argue with science. If I don't get a full 16 hours I'm just a wreck.

No comments: